Nested on the edge of the breathtaking Mukutan Gorge, which plunges deep into valleys filled with palms, vines and orchids and dotted with waterfalls and thermal hot springs, the Mukutan Retreat feels as far away from the rest of the world as you can get. It is Africa at its wildest- undisturbed and unpredictable, yet every detail and desire is carefully attended to in 4 large cottages crafted from local stone and sustainably collected woods and furnished with exquisite textiles and antiques from around the world. It is the definition of pure, private, wild luxury. With plenty of activities to suit all tastes and ages, it is ideal for a romantic escape or for adventures with the whole family and friends. The unique setting, the silence and the evocative sounds of Africa, make of the Mukutan Retreat an exclusive hideaway for discriminate travellers, who wish to find a total communion with nature in simple yet extremely sophisticated comfort.
‘Mukutan’ means ‘ the Meeting’ and it is here that numerous hills and valleys converge in a labyrinth of unspoilt vegetation and wildlife and ancient caves full of stone tools. The Retreat is so called to convey the spirit of total privacy, remoteness and magic that pervades it and that leaves even the most seasoned traveller in awe. It is rare to still find on the planet Earth places that make you feel you are the first visitor. Mukutan is this place. In a changing world it is Unique. Unforgettable. Truly wild. A temple to nature.
Built out of local stone, papyrus and sustainably gathered (not felled!) indigenous cedar and olive woods and furnished with antiques and textiles from around the world, the Mukutan Retreat is timelessly elegant.
There are 3 very large bedroom ‘cottages’ , with private verandas from which to view the birds and baboons and game on the hills. Each cottage has a huge central fireplace which feeds both into bedroom and bathrooms. Bathrooms are open fronted with large bathtubs for a long soak with a spectacular view at the end of a full day. Warm cedar floors, large beds carved from wild olive wood and sumptuous areas to relax in make it hard to ‘leave home’.
A fourth cottage comprises a large open fronted living /dining area with a breakfast platform and a huge fireplace for the evenings scattered with cushions and furnished with good books.
In an effort to transform your stay into a complete escape, Mukutan is removed entirely from civilization with limited phone and internet access (which can be obtained from most other places within the conservancy for those that really do need to get on line). Power is solar only and although good reading and bathroom lights are installed as well as more decorative lamps, most illumination comes from romantic candlelight and hurricane lamps.
Capacity 6-8 excluding guides cottage (a further 2 bedrooms)
- Explore this enchanted wilderness with our fantastic guides and ecologists
- Guided walks into the valley along the river through ‘jungle like’ vegetation past rock formations, hot springs and rock pools to swim in if desired. Or over the tops of hills with breathtaking views across the Rift Valley, Lake Baringo, the Tugen Hills.
- Several stunning ‘hide outs’ located by waterholes or on tree platforms to while away the day with a book and a picnic whilst waiting for game to come to water.
- Longer walking safaris with a fly camp into little- explored areas and to visit the remote and little-visited Pokot tribe
- Volunteer with or experience one of the many community projects, join in any of the conservancy activities
- Plenty of specially crafted activities for children and teens taken from our Summer Camp activities- building fires and dens, learning to navigate by the stars, making plaster of Paris Castes of animal tracks…
- Game Drives and Night Drives
- Nights out in the ‘roofless’ moonlit cottage to watch the stars
- Yoga Lessons if requested
- Bird or Insect Walks
- Ethnobotanical walks
- Bass, Tilapia and Crayfish Fishing
Have a look at our gallery of Mukutan images: